10 Spring Home Maintenance Tips
Posted April 18, 2022
As the warmth of spring approaches, it’s easy to forget the damage that harsh winter weather may have done to your house. A bit of spring maintenance now can prevent costly repair bills later. Review these 10 tips for spring maintenance to avoid any unwelcome surprises.
- Inspect your roof. Repair any damage caused by snow or ice to prevent leaks during spring storms.
- Clean your gutters. Regularly check and clear debris from your gutters and downspouts. This will prevent water from over flowing and reduce the risk of water damage.
- Check your smoke detector. Change the batteries in your smoke detector and test every smoke detector to ensure it’s working properly.
- Stop leaks. Check the seals around your windows and doors for cracking or hardening caulk.
- Beware of trees. Visually inspect trees for damage or rot. Remove dead or unhealthy trees, which could fall in heavy winds.
- Clean the air conditioner. Clean or replace your heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) filters. A dirty filter will force your system to work harder, which can be costly and inefficient.
- Prevent water damage. Check connecting pipes and hoses on all water appliances (e.g., dishwashers, lanundry, sinks and toilets) for cracks, leaks or dampness.
- Repair cracks. Create a safer walking and driving area by fixing cracks in the driveway and sidewalk.
- Touch up the lawn mower. Change the oil on your lawn mower and sharpen the blades.
- Inspect wires. Check for frayed wires, loose outlets or cracked plugs. Make sure no cords or outlets are overloaded.
Contact Horst Insurance for more information on seasonal home maintenance.